Life and Death

Sunday, August 10, 2014

I wanted to make a card design, a drawing for a woman I know, who was very ill. I thought about this a lot. How do I create something for someone who is dying?
Most of our greeting cards are based on "Get Well Soon" or "I am thinking of you", but in this case there is no getting better. There is no getting well.
So I thought about it a lot. I wanted to make a heartfelt card. One that wasn't superficial, one that wasn't like a lot of other cards. One that was really special, one that really meant something.

The truth is I never got around to it. In a very short time my friend was diagnosed with cancer, and in a very short time she died.

I guess not all questions can be answered easily. And for this post I have no pictures. Right now, there is no image that can explain this complexity. Living and dying goes hand in hand. And there aren't always words, there aren't always images.

But there is me. Living and breathing. Thinking. What is the greatest gift we have? It is life itself. No person, no thing, no relationship is bigger than that. Life itself is greater and will endure more. Even death.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

I am happy to hear what you think!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images