Cover art for album 'Please Smile'

Thursday, January 23, 2014




Jeg tror ikke på / den eneste ene / jeg tror på den rigtige i mit nu / Giv mig lidt af det jeg ikke forstår
(I don't believe in / the one and only / I believe in the right one in my present / Give me a little of that which I don't understand)


This week I was given a wonderful challenge! To create one of 13 covers for my dear friend Frederik's debut album 'Please Smile'.
Frederik wanted to create a 'sea of emotions' and that all 13 covers should revolve around the ocean.


The process
My cover is based on one of the songs from Frederik's album. The song is about a relationship, about longings and missing someone in your life. It is a quiet song, with just guitar and a small choir.

I wanted the cover to be about this longing. A longing for another person, a relation, whether romantic or not. I incorporated the sea into the artwork by firstly working with blue, the color of the ocean, and also creating lines in the paint by using a peace of a sea-shell I have found on the beach near Argeles Sur Mer, a Mediterranean village in southern France.

The 'real' person I cut out in paper. This is Frederik, he who wrote the song, the familiar. The other 'person' is created in the computer. She or he, is the 'outline' (den optegnede skygge), a shadow, a luminous or fading figure, which is real, but not of the same substance as the paper cut figure.
You will notice that 'Frederik' has some part of his body cut out. This is his stomach and heart and a line/thread that goes to his throat. When we express ourselves we are vulnerable, and we give something of ourselves. This something often comes from our inner most precious self; our gut, our heart, our song.

The Now moving so quickly, and soon become the past. Who knows if past and present is really one and the same, happening right now?
Two people dancing, holding on to each other, or maybe just praying together. Perhaps a single person reaching for someone else, someone to talk to, to be with. This is what I have created for 'Please Smile' and the song "Optegnede Skygger" (Marked Shadows).

Thank you!

You can see more about Frederik on his Facebook.








You Might Also Like

0 comments

I am happy to hear what you think!

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images